Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tonsillectomy Update

Thank you to everyone who prayed for us yesterday! I’m happy to report that the whole procedure and the hours since then have been relatively smooth and easy.

going in

Yesterday morning we arrived at Children’s South (a smaller hospital) at 7AM and were in a room by 7:15. Paul took Carson to school and met us in the room around 7:30.  Jack got upset every time someone new came in the room (nurse, anesthesiologist, doctor, another nurse, etc.). I held it together very well which was hard at times because the look of fear on his face each time really got me! Finally around 8:20 they took him back. It was amazing because at that point he seemed relatively at ease as long as I could carry him to the double doors. Then the nurse nonchalantly said “ok Jack, let’s go blow up a balloon and Mommy & Daddy will go get you a popsicle”. He seemed fine with this and walked off with his little green dino-underwear-hiney hanging out of his gown…and THEN I cried!

It seemed like a million years {was actually about an hour} before we saw him and when they wheeled him in, he had the STRANGEST look on his face. A scowl of sorts and a very freaky gaze. He was sitting straight up on the bed and just looked at us, almost as if he didn’t know who we were at first.  It took another 20 minutes or so for him to come out of the Demerol daze and then he had some juice while we waited for the nurse to release us.

after

At one point he was saying his throat hurt and I couldn’t hear exactly what he said but he seemed annoyed that I didn’t understand. I said “Jack, are you mad at me?”, he responded “I told you you shouldn’t have bringed me here”. I almost laughed out loud but just smiled and repeated it to Paul and the nurse. She thought it was so cute, she told all the nurses in the hallway.

They gave him a dose of lortab before we left which I thought would knock him out. He somehow kept his eyes open on the drive home and then out of the blue, as we neared the house, he said “Mommy, this is the best way home!”. 

home

The rest of the afternoon was NOT what I expected. He only complained about his throat one time. He ate 4 pancakes, some gummies and popsicles. He never took a nap so the “may cause drowsiness” warning on the lortab bottle does not apply to him!  He was determined to get the toy we promised so we made a quick trip to Wal-Mart for some little Bakugan toys and some Spiderman PJs. He ate a great dinner and then was OUT by 8PM. I woke him once in the night to give him a dose of pain medicine but he slept all night!

IMG_2167

This morning has been great! He said his throat only hurt when he “gulped” and when he talked. He is taking his meds with no argument and just ate some melon. The doctor said day 3 tends to be the worst, so here’s hoping Jack continues to be the exception.

Thank you all for the thoughts and prayers! They are so appreciated! I’ll post another update soon!

I shared this on Facebook, but this was taken at dinner last night:

No comments:

Post a Comment